Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Perfection

Today was about as close to perfect as a summer day can get. When I sat in my classroom dreaming of summer vacation, today is what I imagined. Connor and I started the day by going to the zoo with my good friend Sarah and her two little ones. The weather was perfect, the adult conversation is just what I needed, and both one and half year old boys behaved perfectly (how often does that happen??). When we got home, Connor napped and I cleaned our bedroom closet--which was much overdue. We spent the afternoon running through the sprinkler, blowing bubbles, and playing at the park. A taco dinner with my hubby and son rounded out the perfect day.
It is days like today that remind me just how blessed I am. Being a teacher is truly my calling, and I love my job. Not only do I get to be inspired by young people at work, I also have a schedule that allows me to feel as though I am raising my own child. Even during the school year, Connor is only without a parent for about 6 hours a day. I am home by 3:00 most days and have so many days off. It doesn't get much better.
With the cost of daycare (and LIVING right now....), I have seriously thought a lot about other job options. Teachers don't get paid very well, and Catholic school teachers get paid even less (after 7 years I am finally making what I would have made my first year in a public school). I have considered just staying home and getting a part-time evening job, applying at public schools, doing daycare, or looking at a different field altogether. But I don't want to. I love what I do and I think that is worth SO MUCH.
I wish I could bottle up today and save it for days that money stress starts getting me down. It was seriously perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment