Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Still Here....

      I'm still here....just crazy busy. I couldn't believe when I looked at my blog and saw that my last post was in March. We have been so busy! I am in a constant state of confusion about what to do next fall, looking at jobs, looking at our options if I do decide to go back to teaching full-time, worrying about what would happen with Connor's preschool situation if I go to work; fluctuating between wanting to go back and knowing it makes more sense to stay home one more year. I just keep hoping the answer will land in my lap one of these days (anyone want to call and just offer me a job I can't refuse??? Anyone???)

     Now that Connor is done with preschool, we had NOTHING on the schedule today. Ever since I went back to teaching in February, we have had very few (if any) days with nothing on the schedule. It is an absolutely gorgeous day, so the boys and I decided at the last minute to go to the zoo. Bryce loves going to the zoo now, and it is so fun to watch him be aware of the animals and want to be included. He is not happy just sitting in the stroller the whole time anymore! Connor is reading really well now, so he had to stop and read all the signs to me as we passed them. For these reasons, the zoo was a different (and more fun!) experience today. It's so enjoyable to watch these boys grow up!

     It's hard to believe, but Bryce will be two in just two short months. As much as I have every intention of treating Bryce just like any other kid, I have realized many times lately that I don't hold the same expectations of him as I did of Connor at that age. I hate it, but it's true. I know it's because he isn't capable of as much as Connor was....he isn't walking or talking, so I can't possibly expect the same things of him. But, I have so much guilt about not giving him credit for what he DOES know.  I hate that I underestimate him...the exact thing I say I don't want people to do.

     He has gotten good at reminding us of his age lately....you know, like throwing fits.....and refusing to do things we want him to do.....and fake crying for sympathy....all those fun two-year-old behaviors. I always tell him, if he wants to exhibit the negative behaviors of a two-year-old, he better start working on exhibiting some of the positives too :) I want to hear that kid say "mommy"!

     Today at the zoo, I had a great moment of pride in Bryce. Every time we saw fish (which is many times throughout the course of the zoo), I would make Bryce do the sign for "fish". He loves fish, so he was a fairly willing participant in my sign language lesson :) When we got to the penguin exhibit, one of the penguins was swimming back and forth in front of the glass. Bryce looked at me with a big grin on his face and signed "fish"! I realize that a penguin isn't a fish, but it certainly looked like one, swimming back and forth like that. I was so proud and excited....that was not only communication, but recognition as well! He wasn't just mimicking me....he saw that thing swimming and knew what it was! This may not seem like much, but to me, it was yet another reminder that he knows a lot more than we realize. It's so fun watching him use more and more sign language--and he always makes sounds while he does it, so I know the connection with oral language is there.

One funny Connor quote before I go--

 C: "Mommy, do you know where coffee comes from?"
Me: "Yes, it comes from coffee beans....from a plant."
C: "Yeah, and it comes from caribou too."

I guess he read the Caribou Coffee sign that we had just passed. That is kind of misleading, isn't it? :) Having a kid that can read is a whole new ballgame....how can we possibly hide anything from him anymore?!?!

Take care, and enjoy the weather!

xoxo, Julie

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I waffle all the time about finding full time employment in the teaching world again! I just don't know. I did apply for a position that is only 2 periods a day but haven't heard anything yet. Who knows?!

    The zoo is a wonderful place for many cool interactions. I love taking Owen there because he is so intrigued with the animals and just signs away the entire time. Teach Bryce the sign for swimming and he'll love doing that one in the penguin area! :)

    ReplyDelete